Eastman-Dodge County Welcome Center & Chamber of Commerce
1646 College Street, Eastman, GA 31023
From trains to planes, Eastman’s history will move you. Delve into our past, including the original Stuckey’s store which earned Eastman the title “Candy Capital of the South,” the old Chauncey School that was erected in 1914 on a budget of $10,000, the 1897 jailhouse complete with hanging gallows, Victorian homes, railroad tradition, and so much more.
One of Dodge County's most beautiful historical landmarks, the 1887 Orphans Cemetery features brick-columned entrances, paved streets, running water and immaculately landscaped grounds. Saddened by the death of a neighbor's young son, Albert G. Williamson donated a burial plot, then later donated one acre (the family later donated three additional acres). Home to the Williamson Mausoleum, Orphans Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Off Hwy 23 N on Orphan Cemetery Road.
A production of the Dodge Arts Guild of Eastman, Georgia, this family-friendly show styled after an old-time radio broadcast based around a traveling medicine show features guest artists, local talent, comedy, and a big dose of fun. Presented six times a year at the Magnolia Theater, 122 Main St., Eastman, GA 31023.
Featuring bricks inscribed with veterans' names, as well as a lighted flag and markers honoring each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, the memorial serves as a towering symbol of their generous sacrifice. Commemorative speeches and poems line the walkway to the Veterans Memorial, and park benches offer a spot for reflection. Just off the Hwy. 341 bypass in Eastman, Georgia.
Dodge County Courthouse
Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, the current Dodge County Courthouse was built in 1939 and stands as an example of Classical Revival architecture. Courthouse Circle, Eastman, Georgia
Mr. Angel Monument
The William Pitt Eastman House
Also known as the Bullock or Bishop House, this distinctive nine-room home was built in 1872. Featuring plaster walls, 11-foot ceilings, a stylish staircase crafted from walnut, and three marble mantels, the Dodge Historical Society purchased the house in 1993 to preserve the history of the county. Open by appointment and can be reserved for special events. 5315 Eastman St., Eastman, Georgia; 478-374-1921
Original Stuckey’s Store & Factory
In 1937, W.S. Stuckey opened his first roadside stand in Eastman, Georgia to sell pecans to tourists. In 1948, Stuckey constructed the first Stuckey's candy plant in Eastman. A historical marker stands at the spot – 100 Candy Court, Eastman, Georgia – where the original Stuckey's road stand and factory sold and produced the Stuckey's legendary pecan logs and other candy.
Chauncey was the first city in Georgia to issue bonds to construct and equip a modern school building. As a result, the Chauncey School was built in 1914 on a budget of $10,000. The building featured six classrooms, a state-of-the-art science laboratory, and a regal auditorium. The interior of the building contains numerous details common to early twentieth century architecture, such as pressed tin ceilings, elaborate moldings and glass doorknobs. The school, which now houses the Chauncey Municipal Center, is undergoing renovations to restore its original splendor.
Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail
Dodge County, Georgia has two locations on the Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail commemorating Confederate President Jefferson Davis’ historic route prior to his capture. One location marks where President Davis camped overnight with his family and a small force of Confederate soldiers on May 8, 1865, two days before his capture in Irwin County. Located at US 280/GA 87, the marker stands adjacent to the oak tree to which Jefferson tied his horse. The second is near the historic Parkerson Church, off present-day Hwy. 341 and Friendship Baptist Road. This route led the group through present-day Rhine, Georgia and then onto the Ocmulgee River. The Parkerson Church, built as a log house in June 1831 by Jacob Parkerson, is one of the oldest churches in Dodge County.
The Fanny Gordon Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected the Confederate Monument in April 1910 in celebration of local soldiers. On Courthouse Circle, adjacent to the Dodge County Courthouse and the Old Jailhouse.